Reporting to the Manager of Landscapes, Horticulture and Facilities. the Landscape Technician (LT) will assist in the maintenance and preservation of Drayton Hall’s historic landscape. The LT will work with other Preservation staff contributing to the achievement, support and compliance of the established and future landscape objectives as outlined in Drayton Hall’s Landscape Master Plan or as new projects and plans are initiated.
- Contribute to the overall success of Drayton Hall in achieving its mission.
- Maintain and present the landscape according to the highest professional horticultural standards. Primary responsibilities include turf maintenance including: trimming, mowing, pest control, fertilizing; garden duties including proper planting techniques, watering, fertilizing and mulching; removal of invasive plant material and dead plant material; general knowledge of aquatics.
- Operation, inventory and maintenance of assigned landscape tools, equipment and machinery.
- Perform duties to the highest standards of landscape maintenance for maximum presentation of historic gardens, trees, parking lots, woodland walks and the cemetery.
- Work with and monitor volunteers in assigned duties within selected landscape and garden areas.
- Ensure that all property signs and garden interpretation are well maintained and unobstructed.
- Assist in emergency storm preparations and recovery, as required.
- Develop knowledge of the site and its history by attending enhancement programs and reviewing the site landscape plans and horticulture documents.
- Attend all meetings as required and help ensure effective communications.
- Become knowledgeable in site security procedures.
- Assist with special events and programming as needed, including arriving early and staying late to open/close the site, some evenings, weekends or holidays might be required.
- Work as a cooperative member of a team, and be willing to lead, follow, and support colleagues in a tactful, positive way.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may have exposure to moderate noise, crowds at functions or events, and at times variances in weather.
- The employee must be able to lift items over 80 pounds and perform manual labor as required. The employee must be able to work outdoors. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Technical Certification or Associates Degree or higher in horticulture/landscape maintenance or in a closely related field, with 1 year applied work experience; or High School Diploma plus 5 years work experience in landscape/horticulture maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and maintain landscape equipment including tractors, commercial mowers, and other power equipment.
- Safe and current driving record.
- Ensure all work is performed in a safe manner; also demonstrate an understanding of instructions and deadlines, yet take initiative and work independently.
- Department: Preservation
- Reports To: Manager of Landscapes, Horticulture and Facilities
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Employment Status: Full-Time
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Drayton Hall Preservation Trust
ATTN: Eric Becker
3380 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 29414
Or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Drayton Hall Preservation Trust is an equal opportunity employer.
Image courtesy of Drayton Hall